The Digital Skills and Jobs Coalition is an initiative of European Commission, under the Digital Single Market strategy, that aims to open up digital opportunities for people and business and enhance Europe’s position as a world leader in the digital economy.
The Coalition brings together Member States, companies, social partners, non-profit organisations and education providers, who take action to tackle the lack of digital skills in Europe.
The aim is to ensure that everyone acquires the digital skills they need to remain productive and employable and included.
- Mobilises actors who pledge to take action to train and reskill Europeans at large as well as the labour force in all sectors – e.g. health care, farming, education, accounting, engineering, retail and technology.
- Encourages National or Local Digital Skills and Jobs Coalitions, which carry out actions to train more digital experts, reskill and upskill the labour force and provide citizens with the digital skills they need for their lives in their regions or countries.
- Invites Member States to develop comprehensive national digital skills strategies by mid-2017.
- Promotes best practices in digital skills training with the purpose of scaling and replicating them throughout Europe.
- Disseminates information about available EU funds e.g. European Structural and Investment Funds, Youth Employment Initiative, Erasmus+ etc. for the development of digital skills.
SEE has committed to support the main objectives of the Digital Skills and Jobs Coalition in Romania. One of our key-actions is to uphold education and training for digital professions in Romanian higher education institutions. Together with University of Bucharest and Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, we are developing innovative entrepreneurial modules that will give students access to crucial mentorship and hands-on workshops on using innovation and technology in their start-ups.
Together with our business partners, we bring together software developers, students, educators and entrepreneurs in thematic hackathons that seek digital solutions for improved accessibility of citizens to digital services.
Furthermore, we organize the Digital Romania International Forum, an annual event bringing together innovators, industry leaders and top policy-makers for a strategic dialogue on the digitization of industry. The first edition of Forum was keynoted by President Klaus Iohannis, Prime Minister Dacian Ciolos, and European Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society Gunther Oettinger. Over 300 industry leaders discussed the future of smart cars, smart cities and agritech.
The second edition will take place on 1-2 November 2017 and will host high-level conversations on Energy 4.0, Fintech, E-health, Smart Defense, and Smart cities. During the event, EU Commissioner Mariya Gabriel will present the Digital Innovation Hub (DIH) initiative together with a European Commission delegation.