Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the post of Communications Director for Smart Everything Everywhere (SEE) Office in Bucharest.
|Job Title||Communications Director|
|Manager||Dan Nechita (email@example.com)|
|Appointment Type||Term (Duration: indefinite period; 2 month trial period)|
|HR Contact||Tudor Oprea (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|Language Preferences||English [Essential], Romanian [Essential]|
Smart Everything Everywhere (SEE) is a catalyst for Romania’s digital transformation. SEE provides a framework for accelerating Romania’s transition into the digital age, leveraging the country’s untapped digital potential – enabling it to grow, scale and become a global innovation hub. SEE focuses on three pillars of the digital future: industry 4.0, smart cities and citizens, and the digital state.
POSITION SUMMARY (Short summary of the essential purpose of the job)
The Communications Director reports to the President and Vice-presidents of the SEE, and has primary responsibility for planning, creating, and managing the organization’s communications including: brand message; content creating/writing/editing across multiple channels and formats; public relations tools and narrative, and communications processes, tracking, and reporting. The Communications Director of the SEE works collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders on website content, project initiatives, and serves as the staff writer on communications platforms including, but not limited to web content, brochures, newsletters, research reports, press releases, annual reports, presentations, social media, and training videos. S/he provides counsel and guidance to project leaders and senior management on communication-related issues.
Briefly said, our Communications Director is a true communications wizard who contributes to our mission with his/her striking narrative, joyful personality and eagerness to grow the organization into an ever-stronger one.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Duties that occupy a major portion of time and importance in the job):
Content Creation (approximately 60% of portfolio)
- Create content for multiple online platforms, working closely with the SEE team to coordinate specific content and technical implementation.
- Monitor news, updates, and research relevant to initiatives and projects; recommend and create related content to distribute broadly and accordingly.
- Ensure online platforms and digital communications are key vehicles for SEE initiative efforts with high quality, relevant, timely, brand‐consistent, and fresh content.
- Monitor all digital properties and communications efforts to track and respond to sentiment, alerts, and opportunities.
- Collaborate with the SEE team to create other communications content, which may include training videos, toolkits, and how‐
Staff Writer/Editor (approximately 25% of portfolio)
- Serve as staff writer and editor for a broad array of organizational communications including, but not limited to brochures, newsletters, annual reports, and presentations.
- Participate in research projects; contribute writing and editing to final research reports.
Public Relations (approximately 10% of portfolio)
- Create media materials; talking points, press briefings, press releases, press packages, and review and dissemination related materials.
- Create strategy and narratives for reputation management and crisis communications.
- Track and report on public relations activities, relevant stories, and applicable news coverage.
- If and where relevant, serve as back‐up media liaison, directing questions and setting interviews for senior management.
Communications Processes, Tracking, Reporting (approximately 5% of portfolio)
- Create a strategic communications project management plan, and establish processes for managing communications projects from start to finish. Create repository of communications materials.
- Develop and maintain adequate controls and checklists for project scheduling and follow‐ Develop systems and processes, including an editorial calendar, to ensure that all external communications stay up‐to‐date.
- Conduct periodic review and evaluation of efficacy of communications efforts. Log events. Create and distribute reports accordingly.
- Provide cost analysis and budget recommendations for communications projects.
- Participate in regular team meetings to review progress and deliverables.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE SKILL REQUIRED (Minimum education and experience needed to perform the job adequately):
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of 1 year of communications experience in a similar role.
- Masterful written and oral communication skills in English and Romanian, including proven success in presenting ideas and concepts effectively and persuasively.
- Demonstrated expertise in writing web content, news alerts, press releases, research reports, talking points, brochures, annual reports, presentations, how‐tos, newsletter, crisis communications, and other external communications.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Google Analytics, Google Docs, creativity tools (e.g. Canva), social media, and content management systems. Good design and layout skills and a fair command of Adobe Photoshop and Pagemaker are an added advantage.
- Excellent ability to distill effective communications from a variety of sources and format/re‐package appropriately.
- Deep understanding of, experience with, and proven success directly managing social media.
- Demonstrated success contributing to or managing earned media efforts; experience acting as media liaison.
- Collaborative, outgoing, professional, and innovative approach.
- Demonstrated ability to set and manage priorities and multiple responsibilities. Outcomes and deadlines oriented.
- Excellent attention to detail. Organized and process-oriented.
- Ability to deliver high quality work, quickly, in a dynamic organization under time pressure.
- Adaptability and demonstrated success in creating real impact within a networked, cross‐organizational, and non-traditional environment.
- Ability to “lead from behind” and keen understanding and skill in relationship building and stewardship of network‐dependent initiatives.
- Proven commitment to SEE’s mission and main focus points (digital skills, entrepreneurship, innovation, technology, ITC, startups, advocacy, public policy, civil society).
ADA SPECIFICATIONS (Physical demands that must be met in order to successfully complete the essential functions of the job):
This position is largely sedentary in nature, however one must possess the ability to speak, hear, and write as well as the ability to use a computer and related software programs, and lift up to 20 pounds. Local and/or national travel periodically required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.